WALKING IT OUT

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Interview of a Grandpa!

By Jacob (I think I get rights to my sons work, don't you!)
The Summary is the only thing Jacob wrote in his report. 

Question 1: Pa, what games did you play when you were my age?
Answer: When I was 8, I played outside or played sports. There were no computers or ipods.
Summary: When my Pa was 8 he played outside or sports. There were no computers or ipods.

Question 2: What kind of clothes did you wear when you were my age?
Answer: I had a lot of the same clothes that you wear like jeans and T shirts. The shirts were different because they didn't have any graphics on them, you know, like writing or printed pictures.
Summary: He had mostly the same clothes but there was no graphics on shirts.

Question 3: What chores did you have when you were my age?
Answer: Well, by 8 years old I had a lot more chores than you do. I mowed the lawn, and picked certain kinds of grass for the rabbits. My big chore or job was to feed all the animals on our farm. So, I feed the rabbits that we breed, the chickens and horses.
Summary: When my Pa was 8 his chores were hard. He mowed the grass and feed all the animals on the small farm.

Question 4: How was transportation different when you were my age?
Answer: Well, I don't know if it has changed much except that no one could afford to have a car and especially more than one. Well, we did get a car in the year I turned 8 and that sat in the drive way unless we had some where far away to go. When my parents needed to go somewhere they always took the bus or walked.
Summary: They did not have a car until he was 8. They walked or rode a bus.

Question 5: What do you know about our ancestors? How were their lives different from our lives today?
Answer: Jacob I know some of our history and on my mothers side of the family I can only really tell you about the life of my granddaddy. He moved to Enterprise, Alabama and got married and they had 9 children. One of them was my mother. He would be your great-great-great grandpa and he was almost half Cherokee. His family was from the Eastern Cherokee Tribe. So, my granddaddy lived as a share-cropper and farmed land but was very very poor.
Question: What was that like?
Answer: They did not have running water or pipes so they had to carry water from a well out by the farm and anything they needed water for meant they had to carry it from a long way away. There was no electricity and that meant that they only saw inside by candle light.  When they needed something from the town they had one horse to work in the field and they would tie him up to a buggy and ride it to town. So, they also had an outhouse and that was the only thing like a bathroom.
Summary: My great-great-great grandpa was part Cherokee and lived in Alabama. He had 9 children and was very poor. They had no running water. They only had candles and a horse and buggy.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home