WALKING IT OUT

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Waiting Room Experience

Have you ever been in a waiting room for a doctor that was not going to be giving anyone good news? You undoubtedly know someone who has dealt with, lived through, struggles or couldn't make it through a life experience without hospitals or doctors visits. Each of us is never far removed from those experiences, unfortunately.

I have been in a few waiting rooms during my life where everyone was in the same "boat" if you will allow me the liberty to say so. We may not have all been the pateint, and we may not all have needed the same type of treatment. However, we were all there with the reality that "bad things were afloat" and needed to be taken care of somehow, someway.

During a few life experiences with relatives in the Terminal Ward of the hospital the nurses all seemed to have that look on their face. The "so sorry for you" look and such looks that left you feeling exposed and vulnerable. Every other family seemed to be looking for someone to share the horrible experience with in order to evade the loneliness. Do you find loneliness in those silent waiting rooms of life? Or do you reach out to the closest stranger to find comfort in a similar story?

When we look at doctor visits in questionable times we often look around and wonder what everyone else is there for. (At least I do) I have been to an appointment with a friend and found myself feeling the urge to say...I am not here for me...but thankfully I kept my mouth shut!

The strangest part about these experiences are the way that each person deals with the mellow drama that is the waiting room. In the hours of waiting in any situation, I would recite to myself the Psalm 23...

2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,3 he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Those waiting rooms were full of fear, doubt, tormenting thoughts of "what now, why me, what do I do, what next, how will I..." Yet, I was able to focus on those two verses in Psalms that declared the goodness of the Lord would restore my soul and He would guide me. I didn't care where He led but I just knew that it would be for His Name's sake, and I would find rest.
I really pray that if you find yourself in a such a place like those scary waiting rooms that you will have enough strength to show peace and calm. I can assure you that those who are looking for it will engage you and I pray that you are able to share the goodness that you find comfort in.

May the Lord shine His face upon you!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home