WALKING IT OUT

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Tomatoes Go Splat -Onions Peel

I love those old movies when people actually threw tomatoes at actors who were terrible!! Wish I could do that sometimes to comedians who use too much foul language. One or two words, is too much - but I understand the comedic effect of something in context it's just that constant slamming of words that by themselves in sentences don't mean anything.OK that's my obsession with throwing tomatoes.

But the fun part of tomatoes is that eventually they all squish nicely.  I really don't like any kind of tomato, but there really are a tone of varieties. I think this is my fascination with tomatoes in general; no matter what the tomato ultimately looks like, smells like or how big it is, the inside is full of squishy... goodness? The most conventional way to consume a tomato... raw & fresh. (Canned tomatoes work for my Northern friends when they are longing for sun.)

The same is true of onions, no matter what species or size, they are all categorized and all have layers of flavor. Some onions make us cry more than others, some can be sliced without any tears. But the flavor of an onion is best tasted when lightly cooked or grilled. (most of the country would agree with me on this one I think.)   ~ And sometimes, they have started NEW growth, from the inside out!!


So, what does any of that have to do with the humorous or interesting things in life?  Well, EVERYTHING!!!
  • I can choose to walk out this life like a fragile tomato, and only be firm on the outside while the inside of me continues to deteriorate and eventually everyone around me with be covered with my mess when I explode. For a period in time those messy friends my hang out with me, but at some point I will need to grow a new batch.
  • I can choose to walk in my life like a yellow onions; with a thin skin protecting my friends but the minute someone hurts me or dare to peel back my facade... I will inevitably make people cry, and in time the only people who surround me with only talk superficially and make sure that they pat my back with ease. No real friends are found.
  • I can be honest - transparent and realize that I am more like an onion than I want to be... then choose to be an onion who stays chilled and like the vadalia onion which creates hardly any tears if any and is ALWAYS Sweet. These people realize that life is more fun to peel back the layers of our real personality (flavor) with our relationships... but it is tempered by the reality, that as in all life, sometimes the layer must submit to death to find New Life and learn how to be transformed by the Giver of Life (Jesus Christ) and only in Him do we learn how to be sweet and savory with each bite.
Here's hoping you smile, peel and rid yourself of the squishy today!!! :)  

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Grace@ MammaInTheScene said...

what about cakes? Cakes have layers!

April 18, 2010 at 2:56 PM  
Blogger Prov31Dream said...

Grace, Cakes must require more analytic thought... let me have a variety and get back to that blog! :)

April 18, 2010 at 4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home