WALKING IT OUT

Monday, June 21, 2010

Cowboys, Jocks & Baggy Jeans II

~ Life Lessons from Dad ~ Part 2

COWBOYS WHO...

My high school came and I was willing to step out and find the real me outside of the environment that kept me a shy scared little white girl. We had lived in Alabama when I was younger, I had lived in small towns and my entire family was a small town group placed in the outskirts of what might as well have been NY to me (Tampa). I was ready to embrace my roots & dare to dress in the style I felt comfortable in. Vintage western mixed with the nineties and there you have me, button up sun dresses in knee high pointed toe cowboy boots. (And just to the curious, yes, I had learned how to dance long before high school and enjoyed my line dancing!) Of course, this was also a popular way to dress and country was making it's own "cool" crowd so I was not alone!! 

My dad and mom had always dressed me this way and it somehow found me new friends. I retell it now as the "cowboy talk" but it went something like this. 

My dad tells me about when this time he got on a pissed off mean bull. Followed by how stupid this choice was and how many stitches he gained from the experience. Leading into a short conversation about real men and what real hard work on a farm in central Florida looks like to date. Then I get asked, "Do you know how to tell if a man is a cowboy or just trying to look like George Strait?" (Whom I love to gaze upon still.) ~ First, if he tells you he rides a bull, he's lying (I am fairly certain the exact phrase is not PG but it meant lying). *Real cowboys ride for the love and a real man doesn't brag. ~Second, (& my fav at the time) if his jeans are tight enough to see his heartbeat in then he ain't rode no horse and don't plan on it. 

The other thing that stuck out that day was something I found funny and now adore about my father's wisdom. *The only cowboy you are gonna find at that high school will not have time to date you but may invite you over to have dinner with his mom. Followed immediately by the No you can not go and don't worry since you won't find one. 
DISCLAIMER
Now let me say this disclaimer: My dad has admitted to me that mostly he shot from the hip and barely remembers any advice he has given me. He doesn't seem to remember some of those difficult talks but I love those memories burned into my brained none the less. Funny enough, my mother who has a diagnosed memory problem can remember most of what I have wrote about in this series!! So, I have a partial witness! :)

I still call my dad. As recently as two weeks ago his advice was this: Shelley men are stupid [about women] and when they learn what they should know they are too old to [abuse] it. 
In his cryptic way, I am sure I will see the light soon enough.

JOCKS

As a teen who was interested in lots of social functions, church, and after school band practice, football games; my parents often got as many friends over to our house as possible. (To keep track of my social life as any parent should.) My sixteenth birthday party brought about 30 teens to our home. After which led to the talk about the fools who showed up. 
*In a side note, I knew these were goofy kids, but I invited anyone who promised not to bring illegal activities to my house... and you may remember I have mentioned that I had friends from every crowd. 

Thus we had the letter-man jacket conversation! "Jocks are the fools at the party," he explained, "and as much "fun" as they may bring to the party; it's rare to find one who isn't full of himself and respectful." That was it, I guess he missed the part were he was suppose to explain it with grace. 

Of course, I had to explain that the fools in jackets at this party were mostly band geeks, journalists, and part of the wrestling team! Oh, wait there was that one guy who played basketball.... but really wasn't much of the jock type! (SORRY If you know who I am talking about.) So, I laugh, "You have nothing to worry about that in people who are going to hang out with me dad! Times have changed, and every "geek" or loser like me can letter in something."  (I actually acquired 3 letters and 4 bars by the time I graduated and didn't even dress out for PE!)

DAD
I know that when the day comes, which I am not ready for any time soon, and I have to turn over my dad to Jesus. I will have asked more questions, I know I will have done another project with him and heard some more funny anecdotes about men; and life from a crazy ole Iron-worker redneck who now watches too much TV and shoots wandering by field rats with a shotgun! 
While at my moms, try not to chew too loud on the porch!  :)

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous grace said...

Your dad sounds like a hoot!

June 21, 2010 at 10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home