WALKING IT OUT

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

"But Take Heart..."

The dedication plaque that was recovered from the World Trade Center...picture taken while at the New York memorial wall in 2006.

John 16:33"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
Jesus gave the disciples a clear image of reality that this world would do them harm...much harm would come to those who pursue the cause of Christ because the world first rejected Christ.
Reading this chapter today, I was reminded of the reality of the terror that has been happening all over the world. We have only been briefly touched by such tragedy. Jesus declared in John 16 that there would come a day...16:1-3 "a time is coming when anyone who kills you will think he is offering a service to God. They will do such things because they have not known the Father or me." Jesus warned the disciples that harm would be done, their deaths would be offered up as a service to god. I have no choice but to hear the words of terrorist or leaders such as Iranian President Mahmouhd Ahmenajad ring in my head. But, then I listen to the rest of the chapter and hear the verse 33 with a sigh. "In this world you will have trouble, but take heart..." Jesus has ALREADY overcome the world. He will not take away the trouble, because this world still belongs to the sin. But I belong to Him who has overcome all evil.
I must remember that the Word of God reveals the truth to us so that we will NOT be in worry or fret over what MAY happen. The Word of God wants us to be aware of the times, know that our God has given us the signs of the times to instead be READY and be at PEACE with what He has in store. I can choose to be in the peace provided. God provided the answers to staying in peace with Eph 6:13-18.
"Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out."
Lord help me take up my cross and follow you and teach me to walk in the spirit so that I may have the fruit of the spirit to guide me. Help me to use the weapon of the Word of God on the enemies plan and not my fellow man. Renew in me the right spirit to pray hard and for those who walk beside me in this life of trouble. Allow me to bind together with others of like minds to inspire one another. Thank you Lord for your reminders, may I remain humble in following your will. Amen

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home