WALKING IT OUT

Friday, June 19, 2009

Looking Back

Have you ever been hiking and stopped to look back to evaluate how far you have really gone? This picture was taken while Asa and I were doing just that. The reflections I had today were similar to the experience of looking back while your heart is still beating and reflecting on the journey just taken. Hiking is one thing I love to do and don't get to do very often. My favorite hikes will always include a scenery that takes your breath away while you are hiking. Which in turn really helps to keep you focused on having fun and enjoying yourself.

Looking back prematurely can often bring anxiety if you feel discouraged about the physical demand on the hike ahead. However, stopping over halfway to your destination point has been my favorite time to enjoy the scenery. Even in wooded downhill climbs or in a praire you can enjoy the overall view from where you have been.

In life I can find myself discouraged when I try to find "closure" on issues that are not that far removed from my current situation. However, if I continue to journey through life and wait for the peace to stop and reflect I typically find that the "closure" has already occured. Developing a sense of accomplishment comes when I realize that I have really stepped out and moved a great distance from the pain, or heartbreak, or moment that seemed difficult. This encourages me that life can have moments of reflection where great peace can be obtained by looking back over events or circumstances. I personally think that we are too quick to try to understand our situations or analize each moment as it passes. I feel like when we allow ourselves distance and try to move forward we can find a moment in the future to reflect and learn so much more in retrospect.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home