WALKING IT OUT

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

At Home Work

It's interesting that so many people, like myself, make a small (or in some cases) or large amount of money "working from home". For myself, that means a few hours or more on the laptop while in the Family Room with my kids playing all around me. There are other days when I lock my husband down there and use the home office for some phone calls or editting a website. Sounds like such a "wonderful" opportunity for some people while most of them have no idea how difficult it is to make happen. In my life the work I do is based on need so set hours are not something I could control. However, for those "at home working" people who have an endless amount of work to keep them busy they experience something different. No one can understand how much easier it really is to know you will go to "work" from 7 to 3 or 8 to 5 or even if you work a part-time schedule. Working from home requires a certain discipline to flexability while at other times having the discipline to simply be at home for so much of your time.

Did I mention the children? Yeah, I would love to say it is a pure joy a blessing to know I can spend time with my kids while going to and from the "work" computer getting task by task done. Well, I would love to say that! I do love being a stay-at-home mom! You also must remember that 2-4 year olds tend to think differently about computers than adults do.

When I first started working from home, my littlest one really didn't care about the "extra" computer but my pre-schooler constantly wanted to know when it was his turn on the new shinny laptop! Eventually, my littlest one waddled into being a typical two year old and wanted her share of play-time on mommies keyboard. (Of course, the answer was always NO but on occasion I let them play on the home computer while in MY lap!)

Let's just say that my mini-hackers would try ANYTHING to find my laptop in the morning before I got up. Did you know that passwords don't protect the Hardware?

Once I even realized that my desk where I kept my laptop stored had been the recent home of a peanut butter and jelly accident subsequently cleaned by a toddler to not be as noticeable. The next morning, my poor laptop sat full of ants....yes, I said ants!

Take the funny with the bad and try to move forward. I do know it's all a blessing and I try desparately to think "happy thoughts" about how I will someday cherish these memories.

SOME DAY....

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home