WALKING IT OUT

Monday, February 23, 2009

ho·meo·sta·sis?



Homeostasis - noun : a relatively stable state of equilibrium or a tendency toward such a state between the different but interdependent elements or groups of elements of an organism, population, or group.



The aquarium photo is one of our home tanks. The inhabitants love this natural sandy crushed limestone substrate and the aquatic plants provide a stabilizing eco-structure. The equilibrium in this tank is reached but must be maintained by someone. Of course, we are hobbiest and so my husband takes much care in being that person. We are close to the tanks creatures & pay close attention. We notice when the enviroment begins to change in a positive or negative way.

Do people tell you when they see a positive or negative change in your overall life? Do your closest friends help keep you balanced or do they tend to keep you off balance?

Within my personal life, God has been showing me that I am not maintaining the Healthy Balance of ALL the 'groups of elements' that make my life complete. The healthy lifestyle of diet & exercise is great but when not with an equivalent spiritual balance there is not homeostasis. God is also showing me that He has people who love me around me to help guide me back to "stable"! To show me my sins of selfishness and remind me to carry my burdens to the one who can stabilize my inner workings to function as He designs.

Galatians 6 The Message Bible
Nothing but the Cross

"1-3 Live creatively, friends. If someone falls into sin, forgivingly restore him, saving your critical comments for yourself. You might be needing forgiveness before the day's out. Stoop down and reach out to those who are oppressed. Share their burdens, and so complete Christ's law. If you think you are too good for that, you are badly deceived.
4-5Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don't be impressed with yourself. Don't compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life.
6Be very sure now, you who have been trained to a self-sufficient maturity, that you enter into a generous common life with those who have trained you, sharing all the good things that you have and experience.
7-8Don't be misled: No one makes a fool of God. What a person plants, he will harvest. The person who plants selfishness, ignoring the needs of others—ignoring God!—harvests a crop of weeds. All he'll have to show for his life is weeds! But the one who plants in response to God, letting God's Spirit do the growth work in him, harvests a crop of real life, eternal life.
9-10So let's not allow ourselves to get fatigued doing good. At the right time we will harvest a good crop if we don't give up, or quit. Right now, therefore, every time we get the chance, let us work for the benefit of all, starting with the people closest to us in the community of faith." (bold is my emphasis)


How can I become out of balanced? Well, for me it is simply by becoming focused if even temporarily on the things that seem to matter at that moment but really have no bearing on the eternal. This passage in Galations seems to say it best. Let us work on the benefit of all, starting with the people closest to us in faith. Why? Maybe so that as we grow, those that are near us are growing as well to keep us in balance.

Of course, this is my interpretation of the balance I need to find in my life. I believe that all things are balanced based on our inner "tilt". If we have a tilted view of who God is, then all of our outer & physical lives will be to counter that view - good or bad.

My view of God is becoming more balanced as I meditate more in the Word that describes him best. Now, I just need to keep a check on the physical enviroment that tends to negatively OR positively affect my self-image. For how I see MYSELF in the image of God...will ultimately determine how I treat myself and those around me.

God help me to maintain a homeostatic enviroment to ultimately be able to best fulfill the plan you have for me. The plan that I know requires me to help others for your glory. I lay down my pain and my burdens, my self-loathing, my pride, and my inability to see who YOU are IN me. Forgive me Lord for my unrighteousness, and fill me with your compassion and love for myself but more inportantly others around me. Start a new work in me, but let me finish the work you would have me do here on Earth. In Christ's Arms, Amen.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home