WALKING IT OUT

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Y M C A .... Today's challenge

I first must say I love my YMCA for many reasons! The staff that help care for my kids have grown so attached to them over the last four years. They have watched them grow, come into this world and helped them attack new things in life like sharing, coloring, playdough, and walking. The compassion as an overall feature in the YMCA organization is well respected. Anyone should donate any thing they can to this organization.

Having said that, there are some fun quirks about my local Y. Such as, it is located in the heart of a community that is generally retired and in need of social activities. Our Y entertains line dancing, chair aerobic exercise and tons of classes adapted just for our seniors.

The funniest thing I grow impatient to is the typical way 'they' (yes, I am generalizing for the sake of space) sit or squat on equipment and just slow down everyone elses workout. Typically they work out as fast as they drive. (Depending on the driver, this is dangerous as fast or slow!)

Today, while working out I was noticing several people around me. I noticed that I was apparently irritating one of our senior members by working out with my husband. So, I took notice of what else was going on, to see if I could correct something. You know, I realized that even though my sets and my husbands sets were getting done with only using one bench....this person continued to look at us....you know, that Look your grandmother gave you when she didn't approve!

Later, on the Precor Elliptical Crosstrainer it made sense. This person who appeared to be passing judgement on me was looking at who they think I am. Just like, I assume that everyone there over 65 is like one of my grandparents!
I am wrong? I mean, my observations and opinions are from over 4 years of actual interaction...some of them the same people from 4 years ago! So, how can my irritation from THEM be the same as judgement????

Yeah, I knew in my heart that I was wrong. That I was not loving them when I passed judgement on them.
The Holy Spirit (I know) spoke to my heart...."what if that WAS your grandmother, only months after she lost her only love of her life, the person who spent every day with her for over 50 years.....what if her stare is because she lost what she sees in your eyes....."

My heart sank...... oh, God, why are you such an incredible God of humility....the God who loves me enough to ask me to change?
I love my husband with all of my heart, he oftens drives me crazy, sometimes drives me to tears, but none the less there is nothing but love for him..... My love for him is grounded in my Love from Christ.

Am I loving these people with the same love that has grounded me to commit to my husband?

I Corinthians 13:13 "And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

Lord, help me to be more understanding. Let me see a glimpse of the reality that others go through as I pass by them each day. Any one around me can be hurting beyond my imagination. Allow me to be more sensitive to their needs....but mostly to what you would have me say and do. Less of me Lord, and more of you... let my mouth not say anything unless it comes from you and let my heart find your compassion to reach out and love. Anyone. Any time. Amen.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home